A little bit about Uganda
Uganda is an east African country bordered by Kenya, South Sudan, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Rwanda and Tanzania.
The capital of Uganda is Kampala.
Estimated population is 36 million.
Approximately 7.2% of adults in Uganda have HIV.
There were 2.9M reported cases of Malaria in 2012.
*STATISTCAL INFORMATION HAS BEEN GATHERED FROM WORLD HEALTH ORGANISATION WEBSITE AND 2012 WAKISO DISTRICT REPORT AND ARE APPROXIMATE FIGURES ONLY.
Our hospital is located in Busabala
Busabala is located in Waksio district approximately 40 kilometres south-east of Kampala.
Estimated population of Waksio district is 1.3 million
Malaria is the major killer disease in Busabala and accounts for 48% of deaths for persons under 5 years.
34% of local baby deliveries that take place are in health units away from Busabala and the remaining 66% deliver from their homes or homes of traditional birth attendants.
TB cases notified per year is 13% of the population (0.006% in Australia).
Infant mortality rate is 9% (0.5% in Australia).
Maternal Mortality Rate is 1% (0.006% in Australia).
Total Fertility Rate (TFR) is 7.1 children per woman.
HIV prevalence in Busabala stands at 10% against the central region prevalence of 6%.
65% of the mothers in Busabala do not know that HIV can be transmitted from the Mother to the Child during delivery.
No preventing mother to child transmission (PMTCT) services are available in Busabala.